Backend Software Engineer - #29046
Branch delivers world-class financial services to the mobile generation. With offices in the United States, Nigeria, Kenya, and India, Branch is a for-profit socially conscious company that uses the power of data science to reduce the cost of delivering financial services in emerging markets. We believe that everyone, everywhere deserves fair financial access. The rapid spread of smartphones presents an opportunity for the world’s emerging middle class to access banking options and achieve financial flexibility.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Position: Backend Software Engineer, Nigeria
Job Location: Remote
Job type: Full-time
- As part of this team, you will work closely with our global engineering team (distributed across three continents) to strengthen the capabilities of our existing product and build out new products for Branch. Example projects include: Building new functionality for our Credit and Wallet products; helping improve the reliability of our core payments and banking systems; architecting data pipelines and machine learning models for credit underwriting; and more.
- As a company, we are passionate about our customers, fearless in the face of barriers, and driven by data. As an engineering team, we value bottom-up innovation and decentralized decision-making. We believe the best ideas can come from anyone in the company, and we are working hard to create an environment where everyone feels empowered to propose solutions to the challenges we face. We are looking for individuals who thrive in a fast-moving, innovative, and customer-focused setting.
Here are some things you'll do:
- Build out backend functionality for existing and new product lines such as Credit, Wallet, Bill Pay, and others.
- Integrate with various third-party systems, including payment systems, identity providers, and messaging platforms.
- Scale our backend services and pipelines to ever-growing levels of traffic and complexity.
- Help build flexible and easy-to-use tools used by our operations teams to handle customer inquiries and other business processes.
- You have strong experience (2+ years) of building backend software for web-based or mobile products.
- You are an excellent collaborator and communicator. You listen to others and seek to understand, but aren’t afraid to speak your mind and debate in a respectful manner when you disagree.
- You are excited by the prospect of working in a distributed team and company, working with teammates from all over the world.
- You have a solid foundation in computer science fundamentals, distributed systems, data storage, and agile development methodologies.
- You are pragmatic and combine a strong understanding of technology and product needs to arrive at the best solution for a given problem.
- You are highly entrepreneurial and thrive in taking ownership of your own impact. You proactively identify problems and propose solutions.
Benefits of Joining
- Work in a mission-driven, global, fast-paced and entrepreneurial environment
- Competitive salary and equity package
- Fully paid life and health insurance benefit with Axa Mansard (Platinum plan)
- Work-life balance is not a myth, we offer a generous paid leave policy comprising; 28 days annual leave, 30 days sick leave, bereavement leave
- Fully paid parental leave - 6 months maternity and 3 months paternity leave
- A collaborative and flat company culture
- Remote first, with the option to work in-person occasionally
- Pension Benefit
- Monthly WFH stipend alongside a one time home office set-up budget
- We believe learning should never stop and so we provide a $500 stipend annually towards learning and development irrespective of role, title or tenure
- Discretionary trips to our offices across the globe, with global travel medical insurance
- Team meals and social events (Hybrid for now)
- Flexible working hours
- Opportunity to work and interact with a global team